It was 2016 and Straight Hemp founder Devin Alvarez found himself surrounded by a substantial number of friends and family afflicted by opioid addiction. At the time, the U.S. Surgeon General was faced with a chilling epidemic:- 2.5M US residents were diagnosed with OUD (Opioid Use Disorder)
- 80 people dying from overdoses each day
- Resulting in a $78B annual cost to the US economy
Driven by a duty to help, a passion for plant-based healing, and experience in the cannabis industry, Devin founded Straight Hemp and set the mission: improve people's lives through premium, pure hemp-based products.
Devin, a US Air Force Academy graduate, triple majored in Chemistry and Mathematics & Economics from Florida State University then a received an MS in Environmental Science and Biotechnology from Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University.
Devin moved to Colorado to join Agricor Labs as Quality Control Officer for the new and developing marijuana industry. Later he worked to co-develop testing and quality regulations with the State of CO and marijuana producers ensuring the right regulations were being set and products were passing potency, pesticides, heavy metals, bio-contaminants, and residual solvents testing. In 2018, because of the hemp plant’s natural healing properties, Devin shifted his focus to hemp.
It’s now 2020 and Devin’s journey to democratize a natural plant-based medicine to replace societal dependencies on pharma options continues to be a reality.
Straight Hemp established itself as a leader in premium and pure hemp-based products. The key 5 tenants to delivering on our mission
- Farming Conditions and Practices - chain of custody relationship with our farmers, soils fed with living food and watered with snow melt and protected from cross contamination by mountains.
- Hand harvest our hemp versus mechanical shearing.
- Using Horticultural Hemp (also known as Essential Oil Cultivars). Never industrial hemp.
- The Extraction Method Used - our proprietary methodology.
- A more effective formula containing detectable THC and other bioactive compounds from Hemp, resulting in a stronger Entourage Effect.